Exporting out of MYOB RetailManager POS into Woocommerce for Free
An Overview of the Problem
Recently we had a client who needed to regularly export stock levels out of MYOB RetailManager POS software. They had about 2000 products which they sell in their physical store daily but they also have a WordPress/Woocommerce website that sells nationally in Australia, and sometime overseas. They needed a way to keep stock levels up to date on their Woocommerce website. This was especially important in their busy season when they could have a run on an item in the store and sell out in a few hours but then the website was still advertising them has having them in stock! The ACCC hates to see this and it carries big fines.
So how could these two very different systems be kept up to date? Well if you’ve used MYOB RetailManager for any longer than one day I know what your thinking…”thats not possible because everything to do with exporting data out of RetailManager sucks and I want to kill myself just thinking about it”…I know, we’ve been there! But don’t give up!
We looked around at the options for months and found that while there were a few pieces of software out there that did it this they were either stupidly expensive upfront or charged ongoing monthly fees that small business just can’t cope with. So we decided to do some investigating. Your findings might surprise you!
An Overview of the Solution
After a bit of digging around and a few days of work we came up with a reliable solution that we’re pretty happy with. What’s more…are you sitting down…it’s totally free! You don’t even need Microsoft Office or Microsoft Access.
An overview of the solution is as follows:
- Allow access to the MYOB RetailManager Database via ODBC.
- Create an Openoffice Base connection to the MYOB RetailManager database via the ODBC connection.
- Import the stock information via Base into an Openoffice Calc document.
- Create a macro that opens the Calc document and exports it to a format suitable for upload to Woocommerce.
- Setup a task in Windows Task Scheduler that runs this job at the refresh time you want.
- Setup Woocommerce to suck the exported stock information into the website.
Lets get exporting…
If your ready to get started checkout Part 2 of our series where we look at the first step about how to allow access to the MYOB RetailManager database via ODBC.